K-Way VOB’s walking group comprises beginners who walk at about 10 and a half minutes a kilometre, speedy and seasoned race walkers who have achieved National and Provincial colours, and have represented Western Province and South Africa in this discipline, and most importantly those walkers in-between who make up the core of our group.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays – the 10 and a half minute (a kilometre) group is ably led by Elroy Dick from the club’s “slab”. The walks take about an hour and are on different routes.
- Wednesday Time Trials – a weekly five kilometre ‘race’ with yourself and your fellow walkers on a set route. Walkers start at 5.45 p.m. in summer and at 5.30 p.m. in winter.
- Monthly challenges – each month’s challenge is different (e.g. push for a good time, walk a set distance in one event, walk a set distance over multiple events, relays, walk to a predicted time, etc.). The challenges encourage our walkers to step up their distance or time in a friendly, encouraging group event or virtually. There are different starting venues. There is a monthly lucky draw prize for challenge finishers.
- Races – K-Way VOB walkers can regularly be seen participating in Western Province Road Race Walking League events, in track events, grand prix events and we can even be seen walking in running races.
- Incentive – paid up members who participate in a specified number of walking events, including our monthly challenges, can earn an ‘incentive’ shirt.
Race walking clinics take place when needed.
No matter what your speed, style, and walking aspirations, you would be welcomed by the K-Way VOB walkers.